Wine and Local History Museum in Zell (Mosel)

Go on a journey of discovery

The wine and local history museum provides a variety of insights into the history of our wine town - from information about Celtic and Roman settlement to the development of wine and handicraft work to the history of the "Zeller Black Cat".

Numerous documents and traces of settlement from the Celtic and Roman epochs (3000-2000 BC) are clearly presented: stone axes, grinding stones, ceramic finds and gold coins from the Celtic era as well as extensive components of a former Roman bath complex (2nd and 3rd centuries AD). BC). The very well-preserved parts of the warm and hot baths, such as the hypocaust heating, are set up in the museum.

Of course, the development of the world-famous vineyard name "Zeller Schwarze Katz" is presented. In addition to exhibits on the almost 1100-year tradition of Zeller viticulture, the typical tools of the Moselle winemaker are shown. Since the wine used to mature exclusively in wooden barrels, which were only made with the cooper's special tools, these also enrich the exhibition. In 1850, Johann Baptist Gräff founded the first cigar factory in Zell. Other large (10 in total) cigar houses followed. The well-known company Neuerburg (Trier) with the cigar brand "Overstolz" and the company Mostert (Koblenz) also have branches in Zell. Interesting tools, labels, cigar boxes and photos of cigar production are shown.

A rope works existed in Zell until about 1935, which also supplied the surrounding towns with ropes and cords. Typical equipment that was needed for rope production can be viewed. Jews have lived in Zell since the 14th century; the synagogue in the castle and the cemetery in Bullay bear witness to this. In the upper wing of the museum, a room is dedicated to the life and work of the Jews of Zell. The synagogue community in Zell ended with the Reichspogromnacht in November 1938. Changing exhibitions complete the offer in the newly renovated wine and local history museum.

Impressions from the Wine and Local History Museum

Information & Opening hours

The Wein- und Heimatmuseum Zell is open from April to October, always from Wednesday to Sunday, 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (last admission is at 4:30 p.m.).

You can download the museum guide in various languages ​​using the following buttons: